Friday, December 01, 2006

The Ant,the Commode and I

The ant was struggling its way upward through the pool of water in the commode. Every strenuous wriggling, past the little pool, and the arduous journey upward on the polished slippery ceramic was halted by the cleft that flushes down water. So there it stood struggling through the maze only to a heart-wrenching fall to the fringes of the pool. With one another climb was yet another fall.
With the commode as my coliseum, the ant’s struggle for survival proffered the spectacle. Steadily the spectator became an inadvertent participant. Now the cleft of the commode seemed to confound me as much as it did the ant and I watched with baited breath thinking hard for the ant wondering if the ant could make it through the crevice to the seat. But for that I needed that particular ant’s eye view or turn into a rat and find my way through the drain pipes upwards that would perhaps lead to the commode. But the idea of transforming into a rat was not enticing enough even if it were to placate my intellectual quest to comprehend the architectural marvel of the commode, a quest that was primarily born out of my altruism to assist the ant to find its way.
Now, my woes did not end there. Had got engrossed in a nerve-racking thriller novel and so hung on till the twelfth hour to race to the commode. Alas, how I stood there to partake in the ant’s fight along with my own. Like a lightning, the revelation dawned upon me. I had the option of God’s eye view all along and could spare the rat’s and ant’s visions. I realized I could put an end to the ant’s struggle by pulling the trigger and flushing it down or cradle it up with a leaf or a paper. Now the latter looked a bit weighty considering my precarious position with my bladder about to explode any moment. But on reflection, felt that it would be easier to sail through with a heavy bladder than a heavy heart. So snaked my way through to procure a paper and finally hauled it out of the commode to a relatively prolonged life.
As it trawled past in the open, I felt elated by the awareness that I could play God. A tiny little ant turned me into a demigod for a short while and wriggled away throwing me into yet another tide of contemplation. Possibly, in the yonder, there is another commode with another ant with another upward struggle. I would love to let the 'Real God' play 'God' with me as I struggle through the commode of my life if only 'He' would walk in, to witness mine. Perhaps, 'He'’s busy relieving himself elsewhere in an ant less commode. I shall keep climbing till then after every fall and shall wait……………….

5 Comments:

Blogger zephyr said...

For those who does not believe in God how would they react to the situation, how would they save the ant and how do they hope to be saved. Here, God is the external element coming in and providing aid. Suppose the external aid is not available. Is there an internal force within each living body to save ourselves or do we have to rely on the external aid.

10:51 AM  
Blogger P.V.Srividya said...

hi serendipity...

I too am an agnostic. The fleeting realization that the ant let me prolong its life span made me bring in the idea of God. I don't subscibe to it consciously. It was a thought process, a reflection. Then, for pple like us, our only anchor is that internal force called will to keep climbing after the fall and waiting becomes incidental...

9:07 PM  
Blogger David Antony said...

Phew!!!!!!!!!!!
this is tooo good!!
one of the best blogs i've ever read.. the way u've built up the narrative (if i might call it so) and taken it thru - i cud picturise the whole thing... and the way u've ended it is the icing on the cake! :-) it tasted good :-)

Keep writing! u've got awesome talent!

11:28 AM  
Blogger David Antony said...

Hi Dauntless Mind (Vidya)..

i am sorry i didnt introduce myself last time i commented... I am Sri's colleague at Deloitte - we work in d same team... she is all praise for you and ur writing :-) we were talking about some blogs and the conversation turned to your blog and she asked me to hav a look at urs.... and here i am!...

keep writing more... would love to read more on this blog.... its already on my favorites list :-)

smiles n regards,
Dave

10:05 PM  
Blogger N8 said...

Wow, how deep! Thanks for a great post.

Consider this, though. If God is perfect and we are flawed - and you knew well enough to spare the ant, then how much more would God have known and been willing to spare us from drowning in our commode? I believe He's done so in using His son to atone for our sins. We've been "scooped up" out of the commode, and won't see the benefit until we finish our long, ant-sized walk out of the bathroom (life).

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home